Friday, October 3, 2008

And so it begins- Week #1

From the beginning: JUNE 2008
The kids and I were very excited to get started and try to get a feel for how things were going to be in the upcoming year. Well, by kids, I should say DD was excited, DS was convinced he could get all the work done for the year in a few weeks then be done with school for they year.
So we started in on week one:

It was the beginning of the summer so I am already having a hard time recalling exactly what we did (Case in point why I have decided that blogging would be a great idea!)

We started Saxxon math for DS (DD's had not arrived yet and was still on backorder)
Lessons 1-5

Language Arts- (DS)
Yellow Book Lesson 1

Geography/Life Skills
Applied for our passports , filling out forms and learning how to adress and mail a letter from start to finish.
Became Familiar with a globe, and a wall map
Practiced distance and scales
Maps and Globes Book- learned about the Equator, hemispheres, The function of a compass and a legend.

Bible-
Discussed JOHN, located Greece and Korea on map, Worked on coordinating worksheets.
Memory Verse ohn 3:16
DS stayed interested and was very excited and fast to learn his memory verse. He takes a special interest in the Bible, and has mentioned becoming a missionary several times.

Read Aloud-
Family reading time before bed every night- Because of Winn Dixie

Music-
Hello to all the Children of the World- A fun song that teaches different ways of saying hello in different languages. DS was not thrilled. DD loved it and wanted to continue singing and dancing to it all day.

I felt that we were taking a slow aproach but looking back on it I realize we accomplished a lot!

2 comments:

Ms Eva said...

I'm a night owl... and I discover you are as well. :D

You've certainly written a lot this evening. Feels good, huh?

:D

Oregon Mom said...

Well, I am not normally a night owl, but had caffiene for the first time in about 6 weeks. I found myself with an extremley unusual amount of energy! And yeah, it does feel good to let it all out! No matter how many times I have said these things, putting them in writing is different somehow...