Friday, October 3, 2008

Our Journey to homeschooling-Part 4

After a lot of brainstorming, praying, talking to my SIL, and finding out that a few of the kids friends from church (Awesome, well mannered, friendly kids) were homeschooled, I brought the subject of homeschooling up to DH again. This time I had proof that homeschooled kids weren't unsociable wierdos- He knew our niece wasn't a wierdo, nor the kids from church, not only were they not wierd they were some of the neatest kids we knew. He also knew that no matter what decision we made I was not budging on the fact that I would not send the kids back to that school.

I went to the library and checked out every book on homeschooling I could find. I read them all in a matter of a few weeks. I spoke to my SIL and my friend from church and bombarded them with questions. I presented all the info to DH and he was finally convinced that homeschooling wouldn't turn the kids in to wierdos who wore underwear on thier heads. (I later found out from SIL that they had known a rather odd family growing up that homeschooled, and after further discussion we all agreed that some people are wierd no matter where they go to school!)

In the end it was a family decision. Both the kids were excited about the idea. Although neither really knew what homeschooling really was other than they didn't have to go back to the public school. We decided to take it on a one year basis and view it as whether it worked out or not we would have gained a whole year with our kids.


I had reservations though. As much as I knew I was doing the right thing I dealt with guilt. Guilt that I would be unable to work full time at the family business as was formerly assumed since both the kids would be in school full time. DH was already having a hard time picking up the slack for me since I had been spending most of my time at the school rather than at work. I also worried that I wouldn't know enough to teach them, or that I wouldn't have the patience. I also wondered how I was going to do it all. I was already overcommited and over stressed.

Through out all my doubting myself and my worries and fears. I felt in my heart that I was doing what was best for our family and so our homeschooling journey begins...

0 comments: